Does choosing a boat pontoon seem difficult and you don’t know where to start or what to look for?
We understand that this task can be a hard nut to crack, which is why we have written down the three most important points to think about when choosing a pontoon.
1. Can a boat pontoon be built in your desired place?
Before you start investing your time and energy, find out if it is allowed to install a pontoon in your desired location, as there are areas in each country where the law prohibits the installation of pontoons. Therefore, familiarize yourself with the legislation in force at the location and consult with the construction adviser of the local authority.
Another option is to contact our expert (you can do this at the bottom of the page) who will introduce you to local good practice and requirements for installing a pontoon.
2. Is the location in nature suitable for installation of a pontoon?
If the law gives the location a green light, it is now important to make sure that the pontoon is comfortable and safe to use in this particular place. It is important to consider the following:
- pontoons are suitable for use with a jetty or in a naturally protected place. It does not make sense to build a pontoon on the unprotected beach of the high seas, because it simply cannot withstand the natural forces there;
- how far from shore there is enough water depth for swimming depends on how long the pier you need. When sufficient depth is far from the shore, the construction of a pontoon becomes unreasonably expensive;
- ice conditions: the pontoon is not suitable for places where there is moving ridged ice. However, if you decide to place the pontoon in the area of ridged ice, you will need to lift it out every autumn and reinstall it in the spring. Do you really want such a time and money consuming commitment?
There are more factors to keep in mind in nature. You can read more about them here.
3. What is the purpose of using a pontoon?
Finally, we come to the question: which pontoon to choose?
To do this, you need to think through how you will start using the pontoon, because this will give you an idea of which product might be right for you. Here are 5 questions to help you to clarify the issue:.
- Do you need the pontoon to go swimming comfortably, or do you also need to fasten vessels? Or do you want a floating house/sauna instead?
- If you want to fasten vessels , is it just a small rowing boat or a big yacht?
- Do you want to fasten one vessel or several vessels at the same time?
- Do you need one pontoon module or do you need several?
- Does a classic straight pontoon meet your needs or do you need a pontoon of a special shape (e.g., T- or L-shaped)?
Our products include five different berth pontoons. An overview table will help you make your choice:
|Heavy duty pontoon||Timber pontoon with concrete floats||Boat pontoon with plastic floats||Swimming pontoon||Swimming pontoon ECO|
|For a private pontoon||+||+||+||+||+|
|For a harbour||+||+||+||–||–|
|Floats for a floating house||+||+||+||–||–|
|For a breakwater||+||–||–||–||–|
PS! If any of your important questions was left unanswered or you would like more advice on choosing a pontoon, please contact our specialist at the bottom of the page.